Two Apps Every Resident in France Should Know: Ameli and Mon Espace Santé

Two Apps Every Resident in France Should Know: Ameli and Mon Espace Santé

Introduction

A couple of weeks ago, it was finally time for me to put the French healthcare system to the test.

Not in a dramatic way. I simply wanted to have a basic health check.

But as I went through the process, I realised that a simple medical check-up in France is actually a small journey through several parts of the French healthcare system — from making an appointment with a doctor, to receiving an ordonnance, visiting a laboratory, getting my test results, and eventually finding out where all this information belongs online.

And this is where two names kept appearing:

Ameli and Mon espace santé.

At first, I wasn't completely sure what the difference was.

Both are connected to healthcare. Both are official French digital services. Both are useful for people living in France.

But they are designed for very different purposes.

So I thought this would be a good opportunity to share what I have learned — especially for foreigners who are still getting used to the French healthcare system.

My French Healthcare Journey Started With a Doctor's Appointment

Before I could go to a laboratory, there was actually one important step that came first:

I had to make an appointment with a doctor.

This is something worth understanding if you are new to France.

When you want to have a health check or investigate a health concern, you generally start by seeing a doctor.

In my case, I made an appointment for a preliminary health assessment.

During the consultation, the doctor discussed my health and decided which tests were appropriate.

The next step was then very familiar to anyone who has dealt with the French medical system:

the doctor gave me an ordonnance.

An ordonnance is a medical prescription.

But it isn't necessarily only for medication.

A doctor can also prescribe medical examinations or laboratory tests.

In my case, the ordonnance was what I needed to take to the laboratory for my blood tests.

And this is where my next step began.

Finding a Laboratory Near Me

Once I had the ordonnance, I needed to find a laboratory where I could have the blood tests done.

I looked for a laboratory near where I live, and for this particular health check I chose:

Laboratoire Plancoët - BIOGROUP BRETAGNE.

The experience was actually a useful introduction to how the different parts of the French healthcare system connect together.

The doctor dealt with the medical decision.

The ordonnance specified the examinations.

The laboratory performed the tests.

The laboratory then provided the results.

And Assurance Maladie handled the healthcare reimbursement side.

At first, it might sound like one continuous process.

Digitally, however, these different parts are not necessarily stored in the same place.

And that is exactly why understanding Ameli and Mon espace santé is useful.

What Is Ameli?

If you live in France and are covered by the French health insurance system, Ameli is one of the most important online services you should know.

The easiest way to think about it is:

Ameli is mainly about your relationship with Assurance Maladie.

It deals with the administrative and financial side of healthcare.

For example, you can use your Ameli account to:

  • check your healthcare reimbursements;
  • see your healthcare expenses;
  • download an attestation de droits;
  • follow certain administrative procedures;
  • update some personal information;
  • manage certain aspects of your Carte Vitale;
  • request a European Health Insurance Card;
  • follow certain payments and benefits;
  • communicate with your CPAM;
  • find information about healthcare professionals and healthcare establishments.

One of the most useful functions is simply being able to check:

"Has my healthcare expense been reimbursed yet?"

Instead of waiting for a letter or trying to work everything out manually, you can log into your account and see your reimbursement information.

This becomes particularly useful when you start having several medical appointments, laboratory tests, prescriptions or other healthcare expenses.

What Is Mon espace santé?

Now we come to the other service.

Mon espace santé is different.

It is not primarily an insurance or reimbursement application.

Instead, think of it as your:

personal digital health record.

It is designed to bring together your health information and medical documents in one secure personal space.

Depending on your healthcare journey, it can contain things such as:

  • laboratory or examination reports;
  • medical reports;
  • prescriptions;
  • vaccination information;
  • information about your medical history;
  • health documents;
  • documents that you upload yourself;
  • information shared by healthcare professionals;
  • secure health-related messaging;
  • an agenda for certain health-related appointments and examinations.

This is particularly useful when you think about your medical history over several years.

You might have a blood test today, see your general practitioner next month, visit a specialist six months later, and eventually need to show your medical history to another doctor.

Instead of keeping everything in different paper folders, email attachments and downloads on your computer, Mon espace santé provides a central digital space for your health information.

The Difference Between Ameli and Mon espace santé

When I first encountered both services, I wondered:

"Why do I need two different health apps?"

The answer is that they solve different problems.

ServiceMain purposeThink of it as...
Compte ameliHealthcare administration, reimbursements and Assurance Maladie servicesYour health insurance account
Mon espace santéMedical information and health documentsYour digital health record
Carte VitaleIdentifying you within the healthcare system and transmitting information for reimbursementYour French health insurance card
Laboratory portalGiving you access to your laboratory test resultsYour laboratory's results system

This distinction is important.

For example, if I want to know:

"How much did Assurance Maladie reimburse me for my blood test?"

I would look at Ameli.

But if I want to find:

"Where is my laboratory report?"

I would look in Mon espace santé, if the document has been added there, or directly in the laboratory's own results system.

And this is exactly what happened during my own experience.

After my blood test at BIOGROUP, the laboratory had its own digital system for accessing my results.

So I discovered that there could actually be several different digital spaces involved in one medical journey.

At first, this can seem unnecessarily complicated.

But once you understand what each service is responsible for, the logic becomes much clearer.

From the Doctor to the Laboratory: How the Journey Fits Together

My experience can be simplified into this sequence:

Step 1 — Make an appointment

I first made an appointment with a doctor for a preliminary health check.

Step 2 — Medical consultation

The doctor assessed my health and decided which examinations were appropriate.

Step 3 — Receive an ordonnance

The doctor gave me an ordonnance for the blood tests.

Step 4 — Find a laboratory

I then looked for a laboratory near me and chose Laboratoire Plancoët - BIOGROUP BRETAGNE.

Step 5 — Have the tests performed

I went to the laboratory with the necessary documents and had the blood tests done.

Step 6 — Receive the results

The laboratory provided access to my test results through its own digital system.

Step 7 — Check the healthcare administration

The financial and reimbursement side of the process belongs to Assurance Maladie / Ameli.

Step 8 — Keep track of medical information

Medical documents can also become part of Mon espace santé, depending on how the information is shared or uploaded.

Once I laid out the process like this, I finally understood why these services exist separately.

How to Create a Compte ameli

If you are newly registered with Assurance Maladie, creating your Ameli account is something worth doing early.

According to Assurance Maladie, the registration process generally requires information such as:

  • your Social Security number;
  • your date of birth;
  • your postcode;
  • information from your Carte Vitale;
  • bank details already known by Assurance Maladie;
  • an email address.

You can create and access your account through the Ameli website or the Compte ameli mobile application.

After registration, you can use the account to manage many aspects of your relationship with Assurance Maladie.

A small but important tip

Keep your email address and telephone number up to date.

Digital healthcare depends heavily on being able to receive notifications and security codes.

If your contact details change, update them.

How to Activate Mon espace santé

Mon espace santé works slightly differently.

If you are eligible for the service, you may receive an invitation to activate your profile.

The activation process uses the information provided with your invitation and your health insurance details.

Once activated, you can access your personal health space online and through the mobile application.

You can also use available authentication methods such as FranceConnect.

One important thing to understand is that Mon espace santé is designed around your control of your health information.

You can manage your profile and control aspects of how information is shared.

If you receive an invitation but have lost your activation information, the official Mon espace santé service provides ways to recover access.

What Can I Actually Find in Mon espace santé?

This is probably the part I find most interesting.

Imagine that your medical history stretches across several years.

You might have:

  • an old blood test;
  • an ultrasound report;
  • an X-ray;
  • a prescription;
  • a specialist's report;
  • vaccination information;
  • a hospital discharge document.

Keeping all of these documents physically is not particularly convenient.

Mon espace santé is designed to give you a central digital place for these documents.

You can also add documents yourself.

This is important because you should not necessarily assume that every piece of medical information will automatically appear simply because you had an appointment.

Some information may be added by healthcare

Final Thoughts

My healthcare journey started with something very ordinary: making an appointment with a doctor for a basic health check.

But what looked like a simple medical appointment turned into a small lesson in understanding how the French healthcare system works.

First, I made an appointment with a doctor.

Then came the consultation, followed by an ordonnance for my blood tests. I found a laboratory near me, went for the tests, and later received my results through the laboratory's own digital system.

Along the way, I also became more aware of the different digital services that are part of everyday healthcare in France.

Ameli is where I can follow the administrative and financial side of my healthcare — particularly reimbursements and my relationship with Assurance Maladie.

Mon espace santé, on the other hand, is much more about me as a patient: my medical information, health documents and personal health record.

At first, having several different services can feel confusing.

But perhaps that is also part of living in another country.

When we move abroad, we often think that the difficult part is learning the language.

In reality, there is another language to learn — the language of everyday life.

It is the language of ordonnance, Carte Vitale, CPAM, remboursement, mutuelle, médecin traitant, and now, increasingly, digital healthcare.

The more I learn these small pieces of the system, the less intimidating France feels.

I am still learning. I am sure there will be many more moments when I have to stop and ask myself, "How does this work in France?"

But perhaps that is exactly what settling into a new country means.

Little by little, one appointment, one document, one new French word at a time, a system that once felt completely foreign starts to become part of everyday life.

And this time, my lesson was simple:

Don't just learn how to use the healthcare system. Learn where your information lives, too.

That small piece of knowledge can make life in France a little easier.

Previous Post Next Post